With all the concerns about the upcoming flu season and possible Coronavirus spike, it’s important that we proactively take the necessary steps to stay healthy! So, how can you make sure you and your family are ready for it?
Try the following tips for boosting your immune system during the fall and winter months:
- Get adequate sleep! Getting the proper amount of sleep is vital for improving your immune system function. Aim for 7-9 hours a night and try to avoid getting run down as our bodies are less able to fight off viruses when we’re feeling exhausted.
- Exercise can be your best defense! It may be cold and dark out (we know it’s not very motivating), but it’s crucial to stay active during flu season! Exercise increases blood flow and this process helps rid our body of toxins. Increased blood flow also helps with antibody and white blood cell production which are important for helping us fight off infections. Even as little as 20 minutes of walking a few days a week can help your immune system be at its best.
- Eat a well balanced diet! Eating a diet of nutrient rich foods helps your immune system function at it’s best and fight off illnesses. Be sure to eat plenty of foods that contain:
- Vitamin C – One of the most powerful immune boosters. Foods such as grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, clementines, spinach, kale and broccoli contain plenty of Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6 – Helps support biochemical reactions in the immune system. You can eat foods such as chicken, salmon, tuna and green veggies to get adequate Vitamin B6
- Vitamin E – Antioxidant that helps the body fight off infection. Foods rich in vitamin E include nuts, seeds and spinach.
- Be sure to stay away from sugar! Sugar suppresses our natural immune function!
- Drink plenty of water! Drinking plenty of water helps our body flush out toxins and function at it’s best.
Follow these recommendations and you’ll no doubt be ready to fight this flu season head on! We wish you a healthy fall!
What do you think? Join in the Conversation!