Fit Tip: Could Giving Back Improve Your Health?
Monday Morning Fit Tip:
GIVE BACK TO IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH &
THE WORLD AROUND YOU
We’ve always heard that it’s ‘better to give than to receive…’ and now there is scientific evidence to back that up!
Studies about volunteering in the USA have shown that people vounteer because they like being useful and helping others. 38% said they enjoy it and that volunteering makes them feel good about themselves. It may also be good for your physical health as volunteers have reported increased self-esteem, a feeling of empowerment and better health.
Many people report a ‘high’ from volunteering that is similar to the good feelings that come from exercise. Others have noted that helping others can take your focus off of you own problems and make them seem more manageable which can help to combat depression.
Here are 5 more reasons to volunteer:
1. Develop new skills and gain new experiences that you might not otherwise have the chance to do.
2. Meet new people. Studies have shown that people with wide social circles tend to live longer, happier, more full lives.
3. Grow as a person – figure out your likes and dislikes.
4. Develop a new perspective – there are people who are very happy with less than what you have.
5. Feel needed and appreciated.
Victory’s Fitness on a Mission is a FUN & HEALTHY way to give back!
Full details here.